My Fab Followers

Saturday, 26 October 2013

Thermomorph - A Review

A few weeks ago, I was asked if I'd like to review this new product ThermoMorph, which, as it says on the tub, is a mouldable plastic (I've spelt it using the correct English spelling, hehe!)  You can purchase it here on Amazon, currently at a brilliant price of £15.99 with free delivery!

As you can see it comes in a big huge pot of little round pellets, that you pour the required amount into hot water, wait for it to melt and meld into a gooy chewing gum type texture, and then mould to suit.  The instructions say that you should put the pellets in water heated to 60 degrees but I don't have a thermometer and just put the pellets in the water  and it melted!

As you can see below, once the pellets have melted, you can knead it until you get the piece of plastic as below. (As you can see, I used a small set of teabag strainers to take it out of the water so I didn't burn my fingers!)

You have about two or three minutes to work the plastic before it stars to harden, and firstly I rolled it out a bit like pastry dough into quite a thin layer and then put it through my Big Shot using a Tim Holtz die.
This is the Snowman result below with the plastic reset into its opaque form. (Sorry, pics not so great!).  I rather like this as the plastic lends itself perfectly to this wintery image.

I also absolutely love the little snowflakes below that I cut out with the same die - you can see the waste below too which you can simply put back into boiling water and use it again.  I also think you would struggle with normal thin dies, but the Sizzix/Tim Holtz dies are great because they're so thick and you can't damage them.

I then thought I'd try it with this metal stamp that I've had years, but have never used for card making.
I got this lovely reversed mould below which is gorgeous, but I just haven't decided how I'm going to use it.
Finally, I used it with a load of different moulds that I have and these gave me the best results and I'm thrilled as this is just what I was hoping to acheive!  You can see the initial moulds below, some I've added some glitter to, some, I've tried to pre-colour with distress stains.

I've used Treasure Gold wax on the embellishments below which isn't a bad result, you just have to use a very light touch to stop it blobbing.  Can you see the glitter though, pretty!
The embellie below, I tried to add my colour before I pressed it into the mould, and as you can see it's a bit uneven, and I have extremely mauve hands now.
However, it was so easy to rectify by using my Flexmarkers to even out the colour and I think this is my preferred method of adding colour.  Any alcohol marker would do it, but I think the Flex's worked well because they have a soft brush tip and I could get into all the nooks and crannies! 
You can really see the glitter inclusion here, agasin coloured with my Flexmarkers.
I think the following are my most favourite embellies that I made. The flower on the left I added colour before letting the plastic set.
The one below was coloured with a darker Flex colour and I think I prefer the softer paler colour of the second one, and to be honest love the ones above left in their natural state!
Finally, a pic of all the coloured flowers and embellies together.
I love this stuff, it is just so easy to use and you get a lot of bang for your buck, as I have been playing with it for the last few weekends and still have tons left, and if your project goes wrong, just get some boiling water ( careful!) and pop it back in and start again!
I think it works particularly well with smaller moulds, and will definitely be getting that kettle boiling again!   
You can find out more about Thermomorph here on their website and can be purchased here on Amazon.
Thanks for reading down this far - hope you've found this useful and informative.


Kathleen said...

Interesting. Not heard of it before but like the results!
Kathleen Mc x

Grenouille Greetings said...

WOW! Looks like you had lots of fun and great success too! Hugs, Lesley