My Fab Followers

Monday 5 December 2016

Chalkola Pen Review and a discount!



I was recently asked by the makers of Chalkola chalk pens if I'd like to try their pens and review them on my blog.  I love trying new products so here are the results.  Now, apparently these markers can be used on all sorts of non-porous surfaces such as chalkboards (obviously!), whiteboards, glass and plastics.  However, as a card maker, I decided to try them out on some chalk paper that I have and have to say I'm pretty pleased with the results.  They come in two sets, pictures below, and my first thought was, ooh I'm going to like the Earth Tones best! And I did love the colours but also liked the way I could use both sets to get some light and shade.

There is a little preparation to get the ink flowing, a bit of shaking and pressing the nibs but it's really minimal and it was only when the pens were being used for the first time.  Even when I came back to them after a day or two, the ink flowed very readily.
I decided to try the pens on black chalkboard paper so first printed my Santa image (my favourite Christmas stamp this year!), and embossed it with Stampendous Opaque White embossing powder.

I got  very excited when I first applied this red from the Brights set, it gave such a dense vibrant colour!!  The white was a little less deep but still gave  Santa a nice fluffy beard!


I also loved the way the paper came through slightly as I felt it added to the texture and depth of the colours, particularly on his face as I was quite concerned how I would be able to get some different skin tones with only a couple of colours.  In the end I was very  pleased with the impressionist result that I achieved.

Below are a few more cards, the first one using a Mo Manning digital image, Snowman to be found here in Mo's store.
With a digital image, on black paper, I had to print it out with yellow lines so you get the no-lines effect.  It produces a rather simpler card, but again i like the effect, especially using the dots technique.
For my final try-out, I used this fab Robin image from Hobbyart, this time on Red chalkpaper and again embossed with the white powder,  As before, the paper colour shows through a little but agains this only adds depth to the colour.  I particularly like the effect here on his little red breast!
And what I really liked was the way the white and blue pens blended to produce the icy ground beneath his feet.




All in all, I loved these pens!  They produce a different effect from my usual alcohol markers but they are a very quick way of colouring.  I wish my little Violet was older, as I think they will be great to share some colouring time with her.  Still I don't want her to grow up too soon - love my Nanny cuddles!!  I will definitely be using them on more projects!
If you'd like to try them you can find them on Amazon , the Earth Colours here, and the Brights here. And my lovely bloggy friends, you can get a 20% discount on your order by using this code:

20OFFSTR

If you'd like to know about these Chalk markers, you can find more information here on the Chalkola home page.

I'll also be sharing some cards soon using this fabulous Santa image but coloured with my usual pens, in a few days!!
Thanks for stopping by, and hope you like the pens as much as I did!

Hugs, Juliexx

No comments: